Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Ramble, or Two

Brian is finally asleep, so I have all of ten minutes to do this before Ian and Rachel arrive home in their normal flurry.
We had a full day of school today and it went faster than expected. Hmmm... lets see. I read my normal reading of blogs during yearbook, and Catlins of course made me smile and feel such a connection. Her whole view of what she is doing has changed so much! And I am proud of her, even though I don't know her. ( I am NOT a creeper, I swear) But the way she views God is something I have never considered before, and her prayer to him was touching, because after all, don't we always find a small doubt within ourselves and don't we all feel as though God can't possibly hold the entire world in the palm of his hands. But the truth is that he can, and he does, and reading that blog made me realize just how much he holds. On the other side of the world, in a place I have never seen there is a girl and her God, and that is a connection, because I don't even know her, but that one person, God, combines us together in our efforts to live and survive.
Anyway, so Brian just woke up. He was in a terrible temper. :) But now he is fine; nothing a little bit of love and fatty muffins can't fix. Oh, and his favorite t.v. show Blue's Clue's (a very sarcastic show for those of you who can count to 1000).
He watched me clean the kitchen and then I had an iced coffee and he was trying to pronounce the name. It was funny.
"Muccccdddoonnildzz. And Katie, lookkk. Da strwaa is ellow and wred. They wrhymmm!" I love his crackly voice and the way he talks. It's so...three year oldish. :) Now is sprawled across the floor watching a show and I am in the next room typing this. But don't worry, the real run starts when Ian and Rachel get home. That's when all the ridiculously immature and funny 'talks' occure. :)

Jackie: I am starting a new book!!! I am so excited about this one!!! Really, I have only written the first 100 pages or so, but I think it will be AWESOME! I am excited. Haha, anyway. Still awaiting your letter. :P And if you want me to send you the ending of Frozen in Footsteps, tell me too, cause I can e-mail it to you, even though I don't especially like it...
love.

LATER...

Boy was I right about the fun not starting till Ian and Rachel came home. First thing Ian does. Take a wild guess.
"Hey, Katie. Can I have some somoa's?" Sigh. These are the one's that are hidden in the cabinenet above the oven, the one's that are hidden from him.
"Ian, we've been through this. You aren't allowed-"
"I AM! Mom lets me!"
"Alright, alright. Two." (Magic number :) )
"Mom lets me have five." Ian. He looked really upset about winning, I gotta say.
"Two, take it or leave it."
"Fine, but mom let's me have five. Just so you know!" Yes, I am certain that is the reason for telling me that. Just so I know. Of course.
"Here are two. Good-bye, Ian." Well then Rachel is in the other room playing computer (duh) and she comes out and starts to eat the cookies! Well, let me tell you!
"Rachel, what are you eating? That's enough. Give them to me." Me. I grabbed them and put them back into the pantry.
"I only had three. And I breathed on that one." Rachel, trying to grab a forth.
"That's it, no more cookies! Healthy!"
"It doesn't go there!" This was an extremely bratty comment. I got slightly angered.
"Well, Rachel, how am I supposed to know that? I sure as heck don't eat them." I mumbeled and then put them in their 'right spot.'
Well, as soon as I turn around Ian is prancing back into the kitchen with his arms loaden with crap. Cookies, ritz, cheezit's. The whole shabang.
"IAN! What are you doing? Give me those."
"I am testing hetero and homo stuff, for science." I am NOT stupid.
"Ian, take a couple of each and then put those away."
"I'm hungry." Brian says, coming back into the kitchen.
"Of course you are! But Brian, you're done, you've already had your snack." Me, losing self control.
"But I'm still hungry."
"Well, I'm sorry, Brian, but no more food right now."
"What am I 'allowed' to eat?" Rachel.
"Apples. Grapes. Peaches. Healthy." But she doesn't listen so then I really do have to step in and say something.
"That's it. NO MORE FOOD. EVERYONE out of the kitchen. NOW!" And surprisingly they listened.
"Rachel, go upstairs and clean your room."
"No. I don't want to right now."
"I wasn't asking that. Go."
"I wanna play Shop's. Come play with me." Brian.
"You should go play with him." Rachel.
"Rachel, I have to say this. I am the eldest here, I am in charge. I don't appreciate you telling me what to do, so now you need to go clean your room." Me.
"I don't like being told what to do either. I am 11 and 3/4 (me=gasp**) And I get moody and telling me what to do doesn't help. And not letting me eat doesn't help either." So then I just ignored her and played a little with Brian and then assisted Ian in choosing a book to read, with Rachel trailing me the entire time, telling me this and that, this and that. Well I did feel bad for ignoring her, but I also didn't want to loose my cool and yell at her; I wanted to stay happy. So then she finally stopped and hugged me. Rachel pulled out her 'journals' and I read them with her and it was nice, because we both keep journals of poems and song's and our days and so we talked about that and I figured out that she is actually very perceptive and quiet good at her song writing. I was very impressed and told her so. She was just happy to get attention and smiled at me and begged me to stay longer. Of course I told her that wasn't possible, but I would for sure be back numerous times over the passing month. (Like every monday and wed. You'd think she never sees me :) ) It was a good bonding moment and I was glad that we had had it, because the key to Rachel is to not loose your cool and to be polite to her. She is racing to grow up and sometimes that effects the way she acts to adults, because she thinks of herself as one. I would give anything to be her age again though. That's what irks me slightly too. She is trying so hard to grow up when all I want to do is go back. It's almost as though she is mocking me. (Though of course I know she's not.)
Another moment.
"Katie, you not letting me eat is making me 'brookered.'" Brian.
"Brian what does that mean?" Me.
"It is a boy that is a real boy and is, and is, getting brookered." haha. That was his definition. He added some more, but I didn't understand a bit of it. :)
All in all a successful day for me and Rachel.
I need more days like that.
And some with Ian.

No comments:

Post a Comment