I think that I am slowly overcoming my fear of sneaking out of school early. I have escaped early twice this week and I have no intention of stopping. Or getting caught; but that's not really up to me, necesarily.
Yesterday when I was babysitting for a very, very, very long time (six and a half hours to be exact) I realized something.
I was a horrible child. And now I know what my mom felt everytime I was horrible.
First things first. Yesterday: I take dinner orders. Pasta. This I make. Rachel comes down, yells at me, says she won't eat it, yells at the pasta, says she won't touch you, yells at Ian for telling her to stop, says she still won't eat it. Just as I am 'discussing' all these won'ts with her a piercing scream comes from behind. Brian is standing there shrieking like theres no tomorrow with his hand in the air, his eyes all wide. I was terrified and I couldn't figure out why he was screaming and screaming.
"Boo! Brian! Babe, what happened! Brian, you need to tell me what happened!" But he just stood there on the stool shrieking and then I figured it out. He had burned his hand on the stove top. I had turned around for all of two seconds and he had burned his hand on the burner I had just emptied of food. I was absolutly horrified with myself. I ran around and grabbed him off the chair and pulled him up to the sink, turned it on cold and ran his hand under cold water. All the while, Rachel is telling me she still won't eat it, she is telling me she is going to find some first aid stuff for burns, and Ian starts telling me the story of how he had burned himself and how it felt and what his mom did and what we should do. Throughout this entire thing, Brian is crying and screaming and sobbing hysterically in my arms. It was absolutly horrible! I couldn't get him to stop. The dinner got cold and went uneaten. No one helped me clean up and no one helped me clean up the house and no one helped me clear the table. I did this all while trying to calm Brian down. And it made me furious. Eventually his screams turned to whimpers and his whimpers into dispationate plea's to make the pain stop. I sat him down with some ice and he cried because he couldn't eat because of his hand. So I made him a bowl of fruit that he could eat with his other hand and tended to his every need. I still felt horrible, but now I was angry. When the time came I just dumped all the dishes in the sink to do later and took Brian upstairs to take his bath. I didn't know where Ian and Rachel had dissapeared to. During this time Megan came home from the McDevitts and Brian got out of the bath. Mrs. McDevitt told me it was ok, these things happen, which comforted me slightly. She gave him some anibiotics to stop the throbbing and then we put some burn cream on it and a bandade. He was almost as good as new.
I put both Megan and Brian to bed, which while I was doing this, I expected Ian to work on and finish his project. Putting the younger kids to bed usually takes about an hour, if I am lucky, and so for an hour I was depending on Ian to do his project. I come down stairs and I am dead on my feet. It is now almost 8 o'clock and I still have to clean up the kitchen, eat my dinner (which was cold) help Ian finish his project and make them both shower and get into bed by nine. I just kept telling myself it's fine, Ian is probably already done. Boy was I wrong. I turn the corner and where is Ian. Not where he is supposed to be! I yell for him.
"Ian, just because I go away doesn't mean you do to! How long have you been down there?" He does the pity face.
"I don't know. Not that long." He shrugs his shoulders and his eyes flicker away from mine. He is lying.
"Ian, how long?" I demand. I am angry. This is ridiculous. I don't have the patiance for this!
"A long time." He admits and I give him a hard look and send him back to his work. If I had started to yell I might have also started to cry. I was that sick and exhausted of it.
Rachel and me had both agreed that a shower would be taken at 8. 8 rolls around. No shower. I send Ian up on his break to tell her to shower because she hates it when I do it. Five more minutes pass. No shower. I go upstairs and she is sprawled across her bed playing her PSP. (she has been playing this for four hours straight. I want to yell at her.)
"Rachel, shower time. You promised." I can't help the weariness and annoyance that slips into my tone. She deserves it, she's been pushing me all day.
"Mmmm." Is her response.
"Now, turn it off, or I will," I say. I'm not kidding. I was about to snatch that thing and chuck it at the wall.
"Mmmm." She says again. I stare and she looks up after a moment. "What!?" She demands. I just look at her and she huffs angrily and turns it off. I go in the bathroom with her in tow and she sees that their are toys all in the bottom of the tub. I go to clean them up. Go Cinderella her eyes seem to say, go clean it up.
"Megan is supposed to do that," she says and walks back into her room.
"Or you could," I mumble angrily under my breath. I go away. She takes her shower. Caroline arrives then and I fall into her arms because I am just so sick of dealing with everyone. She was at Dawns house earlier and helping Conner with his project so she takes over helping for Ian. I was so, so, so thankful!! Then I had a bowl of icecream that made me feel better and sent Ian for his shower. Rachel came down and me, Caroline, and her sat down to discuss this 'problem.' Forty minutes later. Resolution. Rachel doesn't like being told what to do(tough luck...) and so we have agreed that I will suggest, not tell. This is what we are doing today. Thank god they don't have hw or a project. I suggested they should clean the basement (there mom wants this done). It's not been touched as of yet. We shall see, we shall see.
Oh, but back to yesterday. Ian comes down and his hair isn't even wet in the slightest. I smell him. He didn't take a shower.
"You didn't take a shower, Ian," I say. I am sprawled out on the couch. Caroline laughs at this.
"I DID!" He says.
"You smell horrible, Ian. Go take a shower," I answer.
"I did!" He starts to cry. "I did!" Caroline smiles and rises up into a sitting position.
"B.S. Ian. Go take another shower!" He looks at us all with tears and then stomps around and screams,
"Fine! I'LL GO TAKE ANOTHER!!" He marches up the stairs.
"Don't slam the door, Ian! If you wake Brian up, I'll kill you!" He slams the door. Case closed. It was hillarious.!
No comments:
Post a Comment