Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The First Amendment

Does it ever occur to others about how people use the stupid first amendment as one huge excuse.
Imagine this: you are standing in a line at, let's say, the DMV, waiting to renew something or another on your drivers' license and there is this man standing next to you, middle aged, glasses, graying hair, and he is talking your ear off about something or another. Basically, you really couldn't give a shit. You look over at him and ask very politely if he could please shut his huge mouth, because this long line isn't moving and it's almost five o'clock. Traffic is looking just terrific, your sure, if you wait much longer. He looks up at you, clearly insulted and says, "this is a free country, I can do whatever the hell I want!"
You are hitherto not inclined to inform him that you have the same right and he can clearly see that you aren't having issues with it.

This is what I mean. You ask someone to stop talking, or you inform them that they can keep their negative and insulting opinions to themselves and they hit you with this one.

Yes, I know, you are entitled to an opinion. Yes, I know, you can say whatever you want. Yes, I get it, this is a free country! Thank you, I was born here, too.

But here is the real reason for this assertion and explanation. Stephenie Meyer recently released the press release for her new novella that is coming out this summer. I stumbled upon it and was happy for her and also very supportive because she was donating one dollar of every book sold to the red-cross and offering it for free digitally to all the fan's out there. These two factors made me want to give her a high-five, because let's be serious, what author gives their work away for free? That's right, not a one.

So, I am meandering down the page and I see that their is a discussion going on below. I click, I read, I get kind of pissed off.

There is some woman who has the insincerity to blow off some steam about her hatred of the books on a fan-site, and clearly she has read nothing of the good cause or the purpose or anything else-- no, she has only read into her own annoyance and opinion of the book that, accordingly, she despises with something akin to passion.

She goes on off this whole rant about how it is corrupting youth, how Stephenie Meyer is a horrible writer, how she is a money-hungry schemer, sucking the life juices out of wealthy families that have to buy this "shit" for their spoiled rotten twelve year old daughter... and it goes on.
Someones response: "If you don't like it don't read it. If you have a negative opinion, keep it to yourself. Let those that enjoy it enjoy it and go on your way." I found this very polite, nothing mean spirited here... right.
The lady's response: "I can say whatever the hell I want. I have the first amendment right to give my opinion. Too bad if you don't like it. You can read this shit if you want to, that's your waste of a life, but I have the right to give my opinion, whether you like it or not."

Well I just had to stop and gasp.

Firstly, can I just say: has this woman ever heard of Harry Potter? I mean, seriously. Of course you have the right to hate. Haters for HP went national and got on CNN... I mean, lady, if you are going to go there why not go all the way?!
But it was the pure hatred that actually got me going.

Please find it in writing for me where Stephenie Meyer's says that she did this in order to show the world what great writing really is. And while your at it, find me the one where she say's she did this just so that she could role in the dough. Maybe also look up that part where she states that she thinks she is something like a J.K. Rowling and should be treated accordingly.
 
Ya, your not going to find any of those quotes.

This is my point.

As an aspiring novelist myself, I know that I am not out to change the world with my use or prose and acute intelligence... I am just out there to tell a good story, something that will hopefully entertain someone for a couple or hours and maybe change their lives... I can't think of any writer that thinks otherwise. The point of a story is to inspire and entertain, not rip off the 'rich parents of some snobby twelve year old.'

And that said, why are you wasting your breath tainting something that has brought a lot of people money and happiness (think editors, publishers, movie makers, screen writers, aspiring actors, clothing designers, book stores) the list goes on and on. Even now I want to say that it is NOT about the money. Of course, that can be an incentive, something that tastes sweet to the tongue after knocking away hour upon hour working on something that some might one day call a piece of art...

I think Stephenie Meyer's is aware she isn't the most experienced writer out there. I think she gets it that her novels aren't Shakespearian inspired or posed after. I don't think you need to bring down a good thing just because you have the 'right' to.
To me, that's more 'stupid and corrupting of youth' than the 'garbage' that an inspirer is working out into the wide world for the sole purpose of entertaining and making a positive mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment