Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Cliff


This is something I wrote a long time ago that suddenly seems very moving... and that's not a compliment to myself, rather my current standings in life...

"You want to know something I have been searching for my entire life (and I mean metaphorically)?
A cliff.
That parallel. You have the sky above you to be your guide and the ground below you to catch you. The wind hits your face, you have streaming strands of hair billowing around you like gliding feathers and slashing limbs, and...you're weightless, suspended on that cliff.
You just...are.
All the hands that were holding you in have been severed and all the voices, including your own, have been silenced. There are tears tracing themselves down your cheeks, they are cold, and you have absolutely no idea why you're crying them... but they feel... they feel so nice.
And for once in your life, you get to choose.
You get to either grow wings and take to the endless skies, or you become weighted and you catch a moment on the winds before folding your arms into the bracing hands of the ground below.
Neither one hurts you as much as it defines you.
But all my life I've been thinking about that cliff...and sometimes I wonder...
What will I choose when I find it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment